The school was completed in September 1876 and began classes for around 50 students early in October with its first teacher, William Cameron. Enrolment remained stable at around 150 students to the turn of the century. The overcrowding was solved by enclosing the weather-shed for use as a classroom. By 1912 there were 250 students and 3 teachers with 75 on each of their rolls and with an average attendance of 50 each. Earlier the sand hills were paved to provide a more stable surface.
A two storey building was completed in 1916 by when enrolments had passed 400. Pavilion classrooms were also used to cater for the continuing growth. These had 3 sides and a canvas roll down flap which leaked in the rain and flapped in the wind.
A new brick building opened on the Southern end of the site in 1928 and the brick building on the North of the site replacing the 1916 building, opened in 1935. Enrolments reached a high of 1000 in the 30s, 861 in 1953 and 610 in 1971. There were 500 students at our centenary in 1976. For the bicentenary of European settlement in 1988 a time capsule was planted to be reopened in 2038.