Coogee Public School Student Representative Council
The Student Representative Council (SRC) provides all students with a voice, ideas, suggestions and requests for changes to school practice can be made by the SRC. The SRC meets once a fortnight to discuss issues relevant to the Primary School. One teacher is responsible for running the meetings.
Each year students from Years 2-6 elect two representatives per class to be their SRC reps. These students are presented with badges at a whole school assembly. Our school captains and Vice Captains lead the SRC at their fortnightly meetings to discuss topics that are raised by their fellow class members. We discuss issues of concern regarding sports uniforms, seating, play and sports equipment and fundraising events.
These issues may be taken to staff meetings, P&C meetings and other groups within the school community. The SRC, throughout the year hold school events to raise money for various charities.
Our SRC meets every Monday fortnight during lunchtime and they speak on behalf of their class. Following each meeting they return to their class and feedback regarding what happened during the meeting. They are not required to do anything at home. The SRC is a very valuable forum for student discussion with all students enthusiastically participating.
Over the course of the school year we have one fundraising event per term, raising awareness and funds towards a variety of organisations.
During the past two years Coogee PS SRC has organised fundraisers/mufti days for the following charities:
- Brain Cancer Awareness – Selling beanies towards Brain Council Research.
- Drought Relief Awareness – donating nearly $1000 to aid farmers in their time of drought.
- Daffodil Day – raising funds for the Cancer Council and wearing yellow.
- Homeless Youth – we collected nearly $1000 which purchased nine Backpack beds for homeless youths across NSW. We wore green on this particular day to show our support.
- World Wildlife Fund – raising funds for endangered species.
- Harmony Day – creating posters and school displays in honour of World Harmony Day.
- Skin cancer research – We celebrated our fundraising of over $1000 with a Crazy Hair Day.
- Bullying, No Way! National Day against and bullying and violence, where we wore orange/red and purchased anti bullying wristbands.
Recently, the SRC addressed the issue of individual musical instruments laying around the school and possibly becoming damaged. We discussed the need to house them centrally and in a safe environment. We located an area, negotiated with various parties, accessed shelving, cleaned the area out and we now have an area in our Year 3-6 building that houses between 30 and 50 instruments at a time. There have been no damaged instruments in over a year. We are very proud of our achievements and will continue to look for ways to further enhance our student body and our school environment.